A branch of the Hunter surname in Ayrshire, Scotland once a seat of the Hunter family is located about four miles south of the town of Ayr. James Hunter acquired the lands by a charter dated May 9, 1569.
Rev. Andrew Hunter, D.D. was the last of the Hunter family to reside here. He sold the property in 1772 and purchased Barjarg Tower in Dummfriesshire. Dr. Hunter was born February 15, 1774 in Edinburgh, and married April 14, 1779 to the Hon. Mainie Schaw, eldest daughter of William, sixth Lord Napier of Ettrick . She died October 9, 1806.